21 September 2025

A walk along the left bank of the Garonne

The aim was to walk all the way to Quay Bacalan where there are restaurants, passing Cité du Vin. Here I'm at Place de la Bourse, which has a giant reflecting pool in front. The pool is very shallow, as you can see people walking on it. But it's very effective.

A panorama.

And now a reason why I wanted to visit this quayside market. Oysters are harvested in the region and I wanted a taste.

This is what I got, half a dozen oysters, lemon, bread and butter, and a cup of white wine for 10€. They were delicious and worth the wait — there were many customers in the queue.

This small Sunday market specialised in local produce.

Products of duck, rabbit, and other animals as depicted by the drawings on the tins.

A photo depiction and non-preserved products.

More walking and eventually Pont Jacques Chaban-Delmas hove into sight. The main span rises to allow river craft through, and is the longest vertical lift bridge in Europe.

A telephoto shot of the distinctive Cité du Vin, a wine museum and event centre.

Finally I reached Bacalan halls. 

Inside the Bacalan, full of eateries.

An iron sculpture outside the Bacalan.

People enjoying their extended lunch outside the halls.

I actually walked a bit further on, reaching a cafe called Usagi Coffee - Café à Lapin (usagi is Japanese for rabbit) where for a fee you could enter the rabbit enclosure and pet them. Kids are the target audience. I just had coffee and cake. I then caught a cross river bus over the afore-depicted bridge which dropped me off about 20 minutes walk from my lodgings on the other bank, due to the way the Garonne curves. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment